Wednesday, January 16, 2013

Exit Internship, Enter Finals

On the first day of December I finished my paper mache paperweight with my name on it and I worked on my travel plans to Liberia. I did some laundry and I got my mom to wire $50 from my account at home to my account at school. Then at 6:50, I went down to the Black Box Theater where Tyler and Jack would be giving a performance for their Jazz Dance class. I saw it and thought it was great and I thought the school seeing them was a wonderful way to make students aware of people with disabilities on campus.
                When I got back I watched The Medallion with Tyler and a few other THRIVE students who came to join us and I started on another paper mache paperweight with six rocks embedded in it each having a letter painted in white watercolor pencil forming the word “Wisdom.” The next day I started making my Christmas present for my cousin Eric: paper maches bust of Aang from the show Avatar the Last Air Bender, which he liked. 

The next day I went to my Public Speaking class and listened to a presentation on the pros of space travel: apparently space travel had given us so many of the modern luxuries we have today. That night I went to a Christmas party over at a local resident of Warrensburg’s house where I filled up on turkey, rolls, but still had somehow room for cherry cobbler. I also ate some delicious mangos which suddenly made me eager to shop at fruit markets when I visit Africa and other places on my travels. The family who invited us let us THRIVE students take home some food and Tyler and I brought back some mangos and blackberries. I also talked to Mom that night and she said instead of her wiring me $50 she would just sent a check of $100 from my account at home.
                The next day I got a CD rewritable from the vending machine to save my power point for my speech on in the Lovinger building and I finished my notes and my power point presentation for that speech. I also went to the THRIVE Award Ceremony at Mazzio’s Pizza where I won five awards including: an award for finishing Plato, an award for Awesome Attendence in Person Centered Planning, All 4’s in Participation and Accountability in Transition Planning I, All 4’s on my Progress Report, and for the award we all get, The Reporter Award. For each award we got to pick out a prize from a table. I picked out three bouncy balls for my collection of bouncy balls (which I’m now thinking of quitting as I have so many collections), an origami swan, and a mouse pad to use as a coaster for my water bottle on my desk. When I got back I had a lot of trouble printing off my sources for my speech for my Public Speaking class until I decided to give it a rest for a while and go run on the treadmill. When I got back however, I had no luck with Tyler’s printer but then Hillary found out about my problem and let me use her printer so I got my sources printed off.
                The next day however, I couldn’t save my power point to my e-mail account because my internet wasn’t working.  9:00, the time my class started had come and nothing was working. But then fortunately Kriti heard of my problem and lent me her flash drive. I got to class and gave my speech and felt incredibly relaxed as I did so and I apologized to my teacher for being late and explained it to him and he said it was no problem. Back at my dorm, I found some more pebbles and turned them into mani stones and I returned Kriti her flash drive. Later that day I went to the Muleskinner office for my internship and they said it would be better if I came tomorrow. I told them that I had something going on at 3:15 tomorrow so we agreed on 2:30.
                The next day I got as much done as I could on writing the first thirty pages of a screenplay for my Screenwriting class. I got done twenty-six pages and I turned it in. I went to the Muleskinner office at 2:30 and did some editing. Then I went to my mock interview with Mr. B realizing only minutes before I went in that I didn’t have my resume. Mr. B said that was alright and I could just e-mail him.  Otherwise the interview went pretty well. Mr. B said that I was confident and gave appropriate responses to his questions. When I got back I e-mailed him my resume and that night I also enjoyed taking several cartoon pictures with my cellphone camera, such as Tyler, Kriti’s boyfriend Josh, a female Asian student who swiped cards in the cafeteria at late night, and Salman from my Public Speaking class who worked in the cafeteria at late night. I also sent those pictures and several other pictures of my time in Warrensburg to my Dad.
                The next day I bought some new mechanical pencils at the Union bookstore and I went to the library and read that Lonely Planet book on Mongolia where I learned that Mongolia is a good place to buy stamps, such as ones featuring religious images, wildlife, traditional dances, and even ones with the faces of celebrities on them such as Princess Diana and Jerry Garcia. Then I went to the Lovinger building and printed off my take-home Screenwriting exam which I learned was due on the 13th. I did some laundry later that day and I worked on making two paper mache paperweights, one with six rocks embedded in it each with a letter on them forming the word “Wisdom,” and the other with ten rocks embedded in it with letter on each of them forming the word “Compassion.” Together they said two key Buddhist principles, wisdom and compassion. Then I displayed these paperweights from my window so people walking by would be reminded of these great values. The next day I finished those paper mache paperweights and later that day I learned that I can write twenty-six pages of a screenplay in only a few class days and suddenly I felt much better about my ability to get a screenplay done.
                On Sunday I went down to Hasting’s and bought a Winter 2012 issue of Buddhadharma magazine for my magazine collection and on my way back, a car pulled into the parking lot of a gas station only two or three blocks from UCM and called my name. I looked and saw Cassie and Mckinsey in the car with Cassie in the driver’s seat and she offered to give me a ride back to UCM. I got in and thanked her for doing this. She said, “It’s no problem. It’s really cold out right now. I’d do this for anyone. I just think it’s the right thing to do.” I enjoyed hanging around them and what a kind person Cassie really is. Afterwards at dinner while Tyler and I sat with Jack, Kayla, and Amanda, I asked the three of them if they would like to, with Tyler, who had already agreed, and me, like to buy our own house that we use as a hang out place and they thought that would be a great idea. Tyler told me Gabe, Zach, and Alex from last year’s THRIVE students were also up for it.

                The next day I went to my Public Speaking class and took my exam which I thought went pretty well. I also got back a grade for something else in the class and I had an eighty-two out of one hundred points. The next day I worked on my take-home Screenwriting exam and I went down to Crazy Dog’s where I got a beer and some food to relax, along with a new bottle cap for my collection that came with the beer. The day after that, I finished my Screenwriting exam and I signed up to be checked out the next day. I also started packing up. The next day I turned it in and also got my screenplay pages back and got one hundred twenty points out of one hundred fifty. Later that day, I finished packing up and I made a Christmas ornament from my origami swan as well as one of my Buddhitz sticky notes and a Feng Shui coin. Then Jenna, the CA from the first floor of Ellis came in and inspected my room then said everything was fine. After that, my mom arrived and I put my stuff in her car and we rode on home.

No comments:

Post a Comment