Friday, January 31, 2014

Preparing For Finals Fall 2013


On the first day if December my dad gave me a ride back to school on which he brought me several bottle caps, from which I found three new ones for my collection. I got back and unpacked. Later I took all my wood shavings outside to the Ellis courtyard, where I found a box for a shelf for my magazines, another bottle cap for my collection, and three more pebbles. I also found another bottle cap while sorting some recycling in Ellis. I passed by the THRIVE hall, where I saw Mary and we exchanged Thanksgiving news. I got back to my dorm and turned the box into a shelf for my magazines, worked on some bike streamers and collages made from snack wrappers, and made some more flowers from straws. Down in the cafeteria, I ate dinner with Tom. Then when he left, I ate with Amanda and a first-year THRIVE student named Anna. After they left, I ate with Autrey and another first-year THRIVE student named Connor. While I ate, I worked on my bag woven from Walmart bags. After I got back from dinner, I found in a bunch of papers my mom had given me an invitation to my high school reunion on December 19 at 6. Then I worked on my bottle cap figurines. After that I talked to Erin. I read the reading for my World Masterpieces class while running on the treadmill. I talked to my mom, and she told me about Caitlin Samuels, a girl who our housekeeper Ruth cleaned the home of who was only two years older than me and like me on the autism spectrum. She had just gotten back from a veterinary tech school in Colorado and was working with animals, as was her passion. My mom and Ruth thought we would get along very well and that I ought to get to know her. Later on, I talked to Tyler.

The next day in my Drawing I class I decided that my original still-life idea would take too long and decided to make mine of Denver, Colorado, using one of the beer bottle caps my dad brought me for a brewery sign. Later I ate lunch with Anna, Amanda, David, Logan, Oscar, Mary (the other Mary), Kinsey (another THRIVE student), and Connor. During my World Masterpieces class, I found out I got a C on the last exam. Later I worked on my snack wrapper collages of Maja Toudal and Thomas Jefferson. Afterwards I found another Buddhist site in Rajasthan to visit though I didn’t remember seeing in in my Lonely Planet book so I wondered whether going there may endanger the site, then whether governments would be willing to protect such sites if they didn’t see tourist dollars in it. Later I met some people in the cafeteria at Late Night. I still felt all the while that I did wish I had someone to share myself with, not knowing how that would come about. 
I got done a lot of my Algebra assignment in class and after class. During my North American Indian class however, I couldn’t help but be distracted by the stress I felt taking a full course load in addition to building the UCM Autism Spectrum Support Group. As I did, I looked around the room.  Laci saw me and she smiled, and I smiled back. Suddenly I decided to just be in the present. I also realized sometimes we really don’t need to look far to find what will truly make me feel more relaxed and happier. I also decided that next semester I would go to the Anthropology Club meetings some more, having a feeling I would like something about going there. I left class feeling very relaxed and went to the next UCM Autism Spectrum Support Group meeting. Only Dr. Mayfield showed up but I still felt it was a productive meeting. She told me the names of the heads of the social work, communication disorders, psychology, and nursing departments so I could e-mail them about finding peer mentors. She told me that the THRIVE Award ceremony was tonight, and I suddenly had and told her of an idea to give the THRIVE program things I’ve made from junk as prizes for the rewards people got and she thought that was a great idea. She also told me of an environmental craft fair each Earth Day with the Student Environmental Club at UCM. Afterwards I finished my Algebra assignment and worked on my still-life. I also talked to Tyler. 



 
The next day in my Drawing I class I decided that my original still-life idea would take too long and decided to make mine of Denver, Colorado, using one of the beer bottle caps my dad brought me for a brewery sign. Later I ate lunch with Anna, Amanda, David, Logan, Oscar, Mary (the other Mary), Kinsey (another THRIVE student), and Connor. During my World Masterpieces class I found out I got a C on the last exam. Later I worked on my snack wrapper collages of Maja Toudal and Thomas Jefferson. Afterwards I found another Buddhist site in Rajasthan to visit though I didn’t remember seeing in in my Lonely Planet book so I wondered whether going there may endanger the site, then whether governments would be willing to protect such sites if they didn’t see tourist dollars in it. Later I met some people in the cafeteria at Late Night. I still felt all the while that I did wish I had someone to share myself with, not knowing how that would come about. 
I got done a lot of my Algebra assignment in class and after class. During my North American Indian class however, I couldn’t help but be distracted by the stress I felt taking a full course load in addition to building the UCM Autism Spectrum Support Group. As I did, I looked around the room. Laci saw me and she smiled, and I smiled back. Suddenly I decided to just be in the present. I also realized sometimes we really don’t need to look far to find what will truly make me feel more relaxed and happier. I also decided that next semester I would go to the Anthropology Club meetings some more, having a feeling I would like something about going there. I left class feeling very relaxed and went to the next UCM Autism Spectrum Support Group meeting. Only Dr. Mayfield showed up but I still felt it was a productive meeting. She told me the names of the heads of the social work, communication disorders, psychology, and nursing departments so I could e-mail them about finding peer mentors. She told me that the THRIVE Award ceremony was tonight, and I suddenly had and told her of an idea to give the THRIVE program things I’ve made from junk as prizes for the rewards people got and she thought that was a great idea. She also told me of an environmental craft fair each Earth Day with the Student Environmental Club at UCM. Afterwards I finished my Algebra assignment and worked on my still-life. I also talked to Tyler. 
The next morning, I found the Buddhist monastery I found was in my Lonely Planet book so it was alright to visit. During my Drawing I class I tried showing the boundaries of my still-life using the right shading. I did a lot of the reading for my World Masterpieces class though I only got a one out of five on the quiz. After class I did the course evaluations. Then I finished my Algebra homework. I walked around campus later on taking a lot of photos that I thought would look great in UCM’s Photos of the Week. Then I got back to the dorm and worked on some bike streamers, collages, and scrapbook covers made from snack wrappers, my bag woven from Walmart bags, and made some more flowers. After that I went to a mandatory checkout meeting for the hall where we just talked about checkout procedures. I did some work on my coaster made from Kool-Aid and Capri Sun pouches while I ran on the treadmill. Back at the dorm I worked on my handbag made from snack wrappers. I also talked to Tyler again.
The next morning I passed the Algebra practice exam with a 72.2%. Later I ate lunch with Connor, Kyley, Mckenzie, and a few other students from the hall, during which Kyley offered to sell me a ticket to her sororities, Alpha Omicrom Pi’s, waffle breakfast fundraiser for arthritis. I needed to go to the bank to get some money but I told her I could come by her dorm after that and buy them. Later I got halfway through the book report for my North American Indian class. During my that class I had an idea to use my red-and-yellow striped straws and blue-and-green striped straws to make a wreath with blue, red, yellow, and green stripes, the idea coming to me as though I had found my muse. Afterwards I sent out the e-mail to the UCM Autism Spectrum Support Group members about the movie night. Then I went to the bank and got some money, got back to Ellis and bought the tickets from Kyley and found out the breakfast was on Sunday from 11-1:30 though I first misread it and thought it started at 11:30. Then I went to dinner where I ate with Levi and Jacob, a first-year THRIVE student who was in school with me during high school. Levi asked me if I would come by the THRIVE Christmas party and I said I’d stop in and say hello. I took out my trash and recycling later and then stopped by the THRIVE Christmas party to say hello to everyone. Then I went to the Fun Before Finals Night where I took the popsicle eating challenge where if I ate a whole popsicle in under one minute I got a free Dairy Queen chip, and I won. I got back and I read the reading for my World Masterpieces class, and I worked on my handbag. 
After my Drawing I class the next morning, I did another response paper for my World Masterpieces class. I tried finishing the North American Indian book report before 3:30 to make in time for the movie night. I think I did fairly well except I forgot to proofread some, but I did get in into the instructor’s mailbox on time and got to the movie night, though no one was there. Later I made some bird puppets from straws and some tambourines from bottle caps, the latter for Christmas gifts. After running on the treadmill, I went to the Ellis carnival where I saw Logan, Kinzey, Oscar, and Mary. I also worked on my handbag and made another flower. 
The next day I worked on my travel plans to Rajasthan, where I learned several of Gandhi’s ashes are scattered so I thought I’d visit that place where they are. After that I sorted a lot of recycling in Ellis. Then I worked on my collages, beads, and scrapbook covers made from snack wrappers. Then I sorted my recyclables a little better. Later I worked on the final project for my Drawing I class during which I realized ways I could improve my drawing. While I was on the treadmill, I worked on one of my handbags. I got back later and read a review of The Hobbit: The Desolation of Smaug on theonering.net, which made me anxious to go see it. Then I sorted some more recycling in Ellis.
The next morning, I went over to AO-My-Eggo, taking a lot of pictures of the beautiful scenery on campus on my way. I got there and sat down at a table, enjoying some waffles (which were rather bland but still helped raise money for arthritis research), coffee, tea, and lemonade, while I sat down looking up things on my phone. A few tables away sat a bunch of guys talking amongst themselves.  One of them saw me and said, “Hey, you want to come sit with us?”
“Ok,” I said.
I sat down a tall dark student, while a black student of medium height sat across from me, and diagonally across from me sat one student with long dark hair. The one next to me introduced himself.
 “I’m Luis,” he said.
 “Hi, I’m Ben.”
 I shook his hand.
 “I’m Chris,” said the student sitting across from me.
I shook his hand. Then the last of them introduced himself to me.
“Hi, I’m Ryan.”
I shook his hand as well.
 “So, you all know each other?” I said.
 “We’re in a fraternity together,” said Luis.
 “I see.”
 “You ever thought of joining a fraternity?” Chris asked me.
 “Well, I guess I could in the future.”
 “Well, we’d be glad to have you come to our events.” Chris said.
 “Yeah, if you give me your number, I'll text you when we have something going on,” said Luis.
 “Sure.”
I gave him my number and he gave me his. We spent the rest of the time talking about things such as where we were from, our majors, career interests, where we lived, etc. A short blonde girl wearing an Alpha Omicrom Pi shirt came over to our table.
“Are you guys enjoying everything?” she asked.
“Well, the waffles are ok, and they didn’t have the fruit which we were excited about, but we’re just here to support a good cause."
I nodded in agreement.
 “Well, let me know if I can help you with anything,” said the girl.
 “We will,” said Luis.
Over a few tables down I saw Emily from my Drawing I class sitting with a group of girls and went over to her to ask her a question.
 “Hey, Emily,” I said, and she looked over at me. “Do you know when our Drawing I final is?”
 “Wednesday at 8.”
 “Ok, thank you.”
 “As 1:30 approached we all started clearing our places to leave.
 “Well, nice to meet you, Ben,” said Luis.
 “Yeah, you too,” I said shaking his hand.
 “Yeah, we’ll call or text you whenever we have a fraternity event going on.”
 “Sure. Thank you.”
After the breakfast I got on my Facebook account I looked up Caitlin Samuels and I sent her a friend request. After that I studied for two fifty minute study blocks for my North American Indian class, with a ten minute break in between during which time I found my friend request had been accepted. Later on, I worked on my handbag while I ran on the treadmill. When I got back, I talked to Tyler some more. I also worked on my belt woven from lollipop wrappers and my tambourines made from bottle caps. 
On Monday morning I called Hen House and asked to speak to Phil.
“Phil isn’t working here anymore; he’s now working at the little hen House permanently.”
“Oh, because I’m coming home for a few weeks and I wanted to get some work over the holiday so who do I talk to about that?”
 “Our new assistant manager is Rick, and he’ll be in tomorrow at eleven.” 
 “Ok, thank you.”
After that I did my paper for my Drawing I class. I later saw an e-mail on my UCM account from my mom about finals week in which she said, “I know you’ll do great.” Then I went on Facebook and asked Caitlin how it was being back at home and how she was enjoying working at Shawnee Mission Animal Clinic. Then I did my two other response papers for my World Masterpieces class. I got back to my dorm and worked on my bag woven from Walmart bags.  Then I took out my trash and recycling during which time I saw a load of bottles and cans in a bag at the top which I opened and started taking them to the recycling bin. Philip, walking out of the dining hall from work said, “Ben you’re very brave.”
I got back to my dorm, and I made two origami boxes for Tyler, one for his bouncy ball collection and one for his marble collection and turned my popcorn box into a box for his bottle cap collection. Then I worked on my bottle cap tambourines. Then I worked on my handbag while I ran on the treadmill. I got back and worked on my picture frame made from receipts. After that I talked to Tyler while I worked on one of my trellises made from bottle rings and twist-ties.
              
The next day I called Hen House and told Rick I could work anytime from the 14th to the 27th of December except for the 19th after five and he said he’d put me on the schedule. Afterwards I finished that piece of wall art made from toilet paper rolls. Then I submitted my take-home final to SafeAssign.  After that I got a text from Hillary saying Mardy and I should be roommates next year. I texted her back saying I thought that would be a good idea. I got back and I worked on my bag woven from Walmart bags and a scrapbook cover made from a snack wrapper. Then I got a text from Mardy asking me to be his roommate in Foster/Naux and I texted him back saying I would love that. He texted me asking me if I would meet him at 8:30 in the Ellis Dining Hall and I said I would. I realized I’d be living in a place with no rules on alcohol so I might find more bottle caps. Later I worked on my take-home project for my Drawing I class. After running on the treadmill for about half an hour, I went to the dining hall and met Mardy, and was shortly followed by Hillary, Philip, and a tall black man in about his mid-thirties. He smiled at me.
 “Hi, my name’s London,” he said.
 “I’m Ben,” I said and shook his hand. He then explained to me that he lived near Philip in Foster/Naux. Philip told me that the university wanted to lease its apartments more to lower classmen and that people who wanted to apply for an apartment and keep living in theirs now had to apply for a raffle, and if their name was drawn, they would be chosen to live in an apartment, and Philip now worried he wouldn’t be able to stay in Foster/Naux.
 “You might as well accept it. There’s nothing you can do,” said London.
I went to my Drawing I class the next day and found out I got an 85% on my last portfolio and my midterm project. Then we went around the room critiquing people’s final projects and people had some good things to say about my work as well as some helpful suggestions. I worked on my bottle cap tambourines afterwards. Then I did some sweeping. After that I took a walk to clear out my head. I went to my World Masterpieces exam later and I think I did pretty well.  I got back and worked on my handbag. After that I took a nap to recover some of my strength. Then I took out my trash and recycling. I sorted some recycling afterwards. Then I signed out for tomorrow. That night I talked some more to Tyler and then sorted some recycling.
The next day I went outside my Algebra classroom and found it wasn’t meeting. Then I checked my phone and found out the final time was Tuesday from 11-1, but I could still take my final in the Math Lab until Friday. I went in and started the test, until an instructor had to restart it after I used the calculator on my phone. I started again with a graphing calculator and finished it with a 62% but I passed the class with an 86%. After that I took my North American Indian final, which I thought went pretty well. 
I finished packing up, got checked out, and my mom came and picked me up. I got all my stuff in her car and then got inside. She said to me, “I’d let you drive but I need to be somewhere after I get home and you drive a lot slower than I do, plus I bet you’re kind of tired.”
We drove for an hour until we got home. My mom decided not to go to whatever she had planned earlier and that night I had my first home-cooked meal in a while. Dave was not home at the time. Afterwards I e-mailed all the heads of departments telling them about my group and asking if they would get the word out. Then I called Erin. I also talked to my Granddad mentioning the prospect of asking out a girl, and he told me that people love to talk about themselves. I realized I could get a girl to say a bunch of things about herself, and at the end say, “I enjoyed hearing about you. I’d love to get together and hear more.” Then I went into the kitchen later to get a beer and saw Dave. He said, “Ben, welcome back.”


No comments:

Post a Comment