Wednesday, August 26, 2015

Winter Break January 3-11


My mom and I were back in Kansas City after a week of being in Colorado. The day after we got back, we took my phone to Verizon Wireless, where we were able to get me into a new phone using my UCM e-mail account. However, I was not able to figure out the e-mail address and password to get into my old account.
                The next day I went to Starbuck’s again, and later I went to the hardware store and got some more hot glue. After that I got back and made my cross of reclaimed wood. I then finished my bottle cap snake that I had started on some time ago. Then I finished another coaster made from receipts. The next day I went to my appointment with Dr. Mays before getting my flu shot. Later I deposited my tuition check, and got my prescription from Dr. Mays in the mail.
                After that I called work and found out I’m off all this week. Then I made fourteen more bracelets from old glow bracelets and strips of snack wrappers. After that I went down to Better Cheddar where I got a new bottle cap from my drink. I also went to Starbuck’s where I got the idea to make an autistic mandala. Then I made my mandala. I also had a dinner of cheese, crackers, garlic cloves, spicy hummus, moose spread, and spicy hummus with Mom. I also talked to my dad, and he liked the mandala that I showed him in a picture. After that I called Jack. I also worked on another snake made from bottle caps.
                I worked on my snake. I also did some laundry and had a peppered chicken sandwich on a sandwich roll with some spicy hummus. Then I went to Bruce Smith and got the Goosebumps book Welcome to Dead House. After that I went down to Starbuck’s where I got the idea to make Buddhist monk sculptures from pine cones and learned about a new Lord of the Rings fan film called The Two Hunters, though lotr.wikia.com said it might not ever be completed. I decided to order some on-line. I also worked on some more receipts coaster and bottle cap snake. I also talked to Tyler.
                The next day I went to Starbuck’s again. I also went to eat with Dad at Minsky’s, where he brought up the subject of what I would do with my career after UCM.
              “Well,” I said, “I would like to do things for the autistic community.”
                “Well, have you thought of getting a degree in Social Work? They do have a program at Columbia and UMKC.”
                “Well, I’d really like to go into Disability Studies.”
                “Oh, I don’t know anything about that.”
                I got back and talked to my Granddad, telling him about the conversation with my dad. 
                “I mean,” I said, “I think I can find a way to get into Disability Studies.”
                “Uh-hu,” he said in a non-committal tone.
                “What?!”
                “I mean maybe you should talk to someone about this. I don’t know anything about this.”
                “Well what, do you think I can’t do anything for the autistic community with my career without a social work degree.”
                “No, I just said maybe you should talk to someone who knows more about it than I do.”
                “Of course.”
                The next day picked up Tyler and ate lunch in Lawrence. Then we went to visit the Topeka Capitol Building. We got back and had dinner. Then we spent a lot of time watching Mighty Morphin’ Power Rangers. During that time, Jack called and said he would be able to get together the next day.
                I took some time to saw the edges of the boards I brought back from Colorado for my bottle cap signs. Afterwards I went back to Verizon and got my mom and I new chargers. I got back and started getting all my stuff to go to UCM together. After that I went down to Starbuck’s.
                I got back and talked to Granddad, saying to him what I had wanted to say for two days, “Look, I’ve started two groups, two blogs, spoke at a camp and a school for autistic children, and went on Chris Hernandez’s show about autistic adults. I think I can do something even without a social work degree to really help the autistic community with my career!”
                “Well, I do, too,” he said.
                “Really?”
                “Yes. I think you’re going to do wonderful things.”
                “Well thank you. I’m sorry. I was wrong to get so short with you.”
                “Oh, it’s no problem. You were just stressed out.”
                 I drove over to Jack’s place and he was happy to let me take pictures of his art to share with Artists and Autism. Then we went down to Salsa Grill where I told him about The Friend of Autism Pledge and what it was for, and he agreed to have a look at it when we got back. Once we did, he read over it, thought it was a great idea, and that he would be happy for me to add his name to the list. After that we watched The Sandlot, which I actually enjoyed pretty well. 
                When I got back I reposted The Friend of Autism Pledge on Facebook. I got back and paid my student tuition. Then I filled out my voting ballet. After that I washed my coat and other laundry. Then Dad got here and delivered my textbooks, a head massager, and several bottle caps, from which I got two new ones from my collection. After that I packed up my stuff for UCM. I went down to Minsky’s and treated myself to some buffalo wings. Then I went to Hen House and had some donuts. Mom paid me for the dinner I got myself, and then I shared one of Jack’s paintings on Artists and Autism. 
                The next day I cuddled with Peter some more while learning about the different species of mammals in Africa. Then I packed up my stuff all the way and loaded it into Mom’s car. I drove down to UCM, feeling perfectly relaxed about driving on the highway. I got to UCM and unpacked. I also learned that I have a new roommate named Jeremy. I met Jeremy, his parents, and his girlfriend, Lisa, who I learned was a child development major and a song leader. 
“What is that?” I asked.
“I lead songs for my sorority.”
“Oh, what sorority is that?”
“AO Pi.”
             “Oh.”
             “We’re cool," she said.
Soon after that I restored my CD mandala some more. Then I went to Crazy Dog’s where I got a new bottle cap for my collection from my drink and enjoyed The Simpson’s, albeit only with subtitles. I got back and ran on the treadmill for about an hour, though having forgotten my headphones, and learned more about mammals in South Africa. Then I got back and got to know Jeremy, including that he is a junior pre-med transfer student from a community college in St. Charles and goes home once a month to work with the Marines, which he is in. After that I talked to Erin, who reminded me that it is up to me whether I continue with my schooling after college.

















Rainbow color interior often used to represent autism along with the rainbow infinity symbol for autism, the golden hat for the Golden Hat Foundation for autism, gold-light up during April for Autism Acceptance Month, dragonfly of the Autism Women's Network, glowing head of ThAutCast, waving hands of Autism Positivity Flash Blog, the rainbow septagram of the Autistic Self-Advocacy Network, the flames of the Autism Network International, and red-also light up during April for Autism Acceptance.

2 comments:

  1. this will help me to help ben for his career sometimes the things we do define a hero even for someone who is a avenger

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you again, Tyler. I could ask for no one by my side with more enthusiasm and sincerity than you have.

    ReplyDelete