Friday, October 28, 2011

A New Beginning in Mid-Missouri


I have just moved in this month. On my first night here I went to the campus kickoff. I then went to see a comedian named Buzz Sutherland. I also got a signed picture of him. 
That night I went to a mandatory meeting where Ashley, the community advisor, told us the rules. Basically no alcohol, no violence, on candles in the room that are lit. The THRIVE mentors also went over some rules that are only THRIVE rules: no being outside of the dorm after ten unless approved by a mentor and always sign in and out every time you go somewhere during the day.
The next day I went to the UCM convocation and heard the UCM president Dr. Charles Ambrose speak to the students. I called Phil my manager at my job back at home and told him I would not be able to work until next November because I am now at UCM. Phil told me my mom called and told him and he's taken care of everything. He also told me to have a good time at college. After that I got my student ID.
The first Monday I did not have class and I used it to explore the campus. I went to the library and checked out a book called Sudan: Darfur and the Failure of an African State because I have always had an interest in the Third World.
Every Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday, Thursday and Friday I have been going to Freshman Seminar class. On Wednesdays and Fridays I go to my Adaptive PE class. Every Monday at eleven o' clock I run on the treadmill down in the Recreation Center. On Tuesdays and Thursdays I have been going to Beginning Bowling at eleven o' clock. On Mondays through Thursdays I have been going to Independent and Daily Living Skills class and Technology Literacy class. For one of my Independent and Daily Living Skills class I had to answer some questions about my response to one of the four news articles we choose to read for an assignment. Next Monday when I was in my Freshman Seminar class, the teacher for Mrs. Carter who is last the Independent and Daily Living Skills teacher, said she was very impressed by my writing skills.
On the first weekend I spent at UCM, my mom and stepdad picked me up to go to a birthday dinner.  We ended up going to a bar called Hero's.  I had a great filet mignon and my Mom got me a shirt showing the dog Brian from Family Guy.  Around it was written, "I'm allergic to stupid people."  She also got me a shirt that said, "I live in my own little world but it's ok, they all know me here."  Whatever, I thought.
We went to a THRIVE meeting where there where the staff reminded us of the school and THRIVE rules and we were told we would be getting point sheets for areas including accountability, empathy, participation, cooperation and self-care for areas such as our THRIVE classes and residential life. The highest points were four and the lowest was zero. That night I got four out of four points on all things.
During the second weekend of this month my Dad came to visit me. I showed him around the campus then he took me out to eat at a Mexican restaurant. We went to the UCM bookstore and he bought me a small miniature leather notebook. He also bought one for himself. He said my birthday present from him would arrive soon.
Every Monday through Friday night I have been going down to the Rec Center and running on the treadmill, not because I have to but because I want to. I get to watch some of my favorite television programs such as King of the Hill and American Dad. I say for about five days a week I have been running on the treadmill for an hour and a half.  At the end of the month I checked out a book by Ray Bradbury called Dandelion Wine.

Above Comedian Buzz Sutherland performs
Below Hypnotist Jim Wand








No comments:

Post a Comment