Sunday, August 25, 2013

A Fourth of July with Family

On the first day of July my mom told me as I came down after waking up that she was worried about my coughing and sneezing.  I went to the bank and deposited my last pay check and then I bought copy of Life magazine’s Wonders of the World: 50 Man-made and Natural Marvels and National Geographic’s The Civil War: The Conflict that Changed America.  After that I got a call from my mom saying she wanted to take me to Village Pediatrics to do something about my cold and I drove there and went to an appointment.  On the way back we went by Corinth Hen House and I got Life magazine’s Remembering Katharine Hepburn and BBC’s The American Civil War: The Causes, Key Events, and Legacy of this Landmark Conflict as Told by the World’s Leading Experts.  When I got back took a pill for my cold and I disassembled the legs of my table for UCM Autism Spectrum Support Group cable holders and replaced them with the straighter legs made from paper towel rolls and worked on a bowl made from coiled receipts.  I also thought I’ll know when I meet a girl I’m in love with after I get to know her first. 
                I felt much better and I worked on my travel plans to Mongolia.  I rode my bike for about half an hour and I took some pictures of things I saw on my ride, including a dead squirrel as it can teach us about our own mortality.  On Wednesday I remembered how when I was at the Kansas Legislature representing people with autism how my friend and colleague Elizabeth Boresow said her trouble receiving the right services had to do with government bureaucracy as I had always believed.  I went to work the next day and after it was over I got the current issue of Native magazine.  Then I went to my family house in Lake Lotawana with Jamie, Cam, and Nora for the first time this summer and I met up with my dad, Uncle Todd, Aunt Laura, and my cousins, Abby and Eric. 
                I got several pictures of the neighbor’s cat and the knick-knacks around our house then we went to eat at the Canoe Club that night before Jamie, Cam, and I went back to my mom’s.  The next day I went to the lake with Jamie, Cam, and Nora, and met my dad, grandparents, aunt, uncle, and cousins.  We went on a boat ride and when I got back I called my friend Erin and wished her a happy Fourth of July though our phone got disconnected.  I also texted Maddie, Jack, Elizabeth, and Tyler to wish them a happy Fourth of July.  I got some pictures of the fireworks and played catch with my nephew Eli before we had our traditional hot dogs and burgers followed by Fourth of July cake with white icing, blueberries, and strawberries and then we watched the fireworks show.
                When we got back to my mom’s I watched an episode of Good Luck, Charlie and was able to see more of how the plot developed which I took to mean I’m becoming more of a screenwriter.  I also worked on my bowl made from coiled receipts.  The next day I emptied my laundry basket before I worked on my travel plans to Nepal.  I took pictures of some knick-knacks around our house and I went to the lake with Jamie, Cam, and Nora.  I went on a boat ride with my dad, Jamie, Cam, Nora, Abby, and Eric and took several pictures of Lake Lotawana during it.  Jamie, Cam, Nora, and I got back and I called Erin and apologized for the phone disconnection though she said it was alright and I worked on my bowl made from coiled receipts.
                The next day I went to Peanut with Jamie and my dad while Cam had to work and when I got back to my dad’s I saw a publication on my bed.  Then I went to work and I got the schedule and found out I work the next day from 10-6:30, Wednesday from 7-3:30, and Saturday from 1:30-10.  When I got back I called Tyler and told him I hoped he had a happy Fourth of July and found out he was doing good.  I also found out the publication on my bed was Tulane, my dad’s alma matter, with a cover story called Passage of the Heart about how the Social Work school of Tulane was partnering with the Louisiana Himalaya Association to help the Tibetan refugee communities of India so the students could gain professional experience.  A passage at the beginning of the article said, “It’s been said learning is a journey; and like a true journey, if you knew the end before you got there, it would not be a real journey would it.”  I went to work the next day and I realized my group should help encourage autistic people to disclose their disability to their employer thus affecting their chances of job retention/promotion and raising tax revenue and continuing to strangle any government excuse for not providing autistic people with services they need and that as a magazine collector I could probably find UCM magazines that they give out for free with things I find interesting like Buddhist-related events.  After work I drove home adding ten more minutes to my driving time and I worked on my travel plans to Tibet and my bowl made from coiled receipts.

               

No comments:

Post a Comment