Sunday, January 25, 2015

Senior's Final Project Week


The post for ASAN-KC for National Philanthropy Day appeared to have been a success, and on the 15th and 16th I noticed the chapter got about twenty more likes on Facebook. On Monday I went to breakfast, where I ran into Kriti, who was working at the dining hall, and said I’ve put some very fascinating posts on Facebook.  hen I recited a gatha to help get me through my reading for my Cinematography class. After that I started the reading. After about ten pages, I took a break to get lunch, coffee, and draw in the cafeteria, where someone walking by saw my drawing and complimented me on it. I also finished all the reading for my Cinematography class. I went to that class, during which time I decided to keep doing Ben’s Blog after I finish school, to talk about the future of my group and other groups like it, my art, my poetry, my ASAN work, the future of The Friend of Autism Pledge and the Autism Rights Movement, though I still wasn’t sure whether I would go to grad school afterwards, but in any case, wanted to continue these pursuits for the betterment of the autistic people. After dinner at Crazy Dog’s, I got back and did a lot of reading for my American Renaissance class. Then I ran on the treadmill for about an hour where I ran saw Beth and Jessie. I got back and went to Late Night where I did some more drawing. I also learned of the Buddhist practice of reciting a sankalpa, or intention, every night before bed to feel better the next morning from Elephant Journal’s article on Facebook Do These 5 Things Before Bed and Wake Up Happier. That night, I said one before bed.
                During my Anthropology of Food class where I decided to put my Eat, Drink, Vote book in my backpack today so I don’t forget to bring it home. Afterwards I realized that ASPO could be a good bridge between ASAN-KC and ASAN-SL, as well as ASAN, Alpha Sigma Alpha, the Autism Society of the Heartland, and THRIVE. Then I read some more of the reading for my American Renaissance class. After that I worked on some more on my drawings. During my Creative Problem-Solving class, I got back my latest assignment with an 86% and worked some more on our model with my group. I also heard there is a new Facebook page called Boycott Boycott Autism Speaks, which has gotten ten likes since it started yesterday, and is now giving free publicity to the real Boycott Autism Speaks. After that I treated myself to a chocolate chip brownie and a white chocolate blast while I learned that five years ago, the Alpha Xi Delta chapter of Miami, Ohio held a party in the Underground Railroad Museum, which they trashed and urinated all over out of drunkenness, and on a slave’s pen, and I realized that the black community would not respond very well to that. I also recited a sankalpa that night.
The next day I worked on our group project for my Creative Problem-Solving class with my group, where I ran into Sara, and I spent some more of the day working on my drawings. Later I hung out with Josiah and Josh. I got done a lot more of the project for my Creative Problem-Solving class the next day before my American Renaissance class and during my Creative Problem-Solving class. I worked some more on it the next day until my Granddad came to pick me up. As I was packing, I noticed Kaitlyn had put her name on The Friend of Autism Pledge. As I got ready to go, I saw Sara leaving, introduced her to my granddad, and said goodbye to her. I saw her as I got into the parking lot, and she smiled at me. 
                My granddad drove me home and took me to Minsky’s to eat on the way. As we drove, I learned of a black autistic boy named Reginald Latson, who was arrested for “suspicious behavior” from Boycott Autism Speaks on Facebook on my phone. On the hashtag #freenelilatson, I wrote, “Neli's sole reason for his suspicion was that he was black and autistic. You wouldn't find this with a white neurotypical. Neil was found guilty of assaulting a law enforcement officer when he tried to get him off him, and being on him caused him several bruises and a shattered ankle. The cop was a grown man armed with a gun. Neli was a young teenager who was unarmed. I hope the judge and jury are stripped of their respective privileges for some time and that the cop is suspended. Being black and autistic are not reasons to suspect someone had a gun, and teenagers should not be sentenced for defending themselves against an armed man. Free Neli Latson ‪#freeneli.” 
While we were at dinner, my granddad told me that my mom told him that Donna gave a painting of hers to the Mission Project art auction, which made me realize I was grateful, in addition to her generosity, that I introduced Jack to her. I also called Hen House, and learned I wasn’t on the schedule yet. Then I got and worked on some more plarn.

3 comments: