Saturday, January 3, 2015

Slaughter of the Innocent


After Autistic Speaking Day had ended, I spent a great portion of that Sunday getting most of the way through with my article summary for my American Renaissance class, which was due on the 5th that coming Tuesday. Afterwards, I took some time to finish my bottle cap picture I had started working on the day before, and it came out great. I showed it to Kaitlyn, Josiah, and my dad and they all loved it. I also worked some more on my bottle cap wind chime that I had also started the day before. The next morning, I saw posts and comments from several autistics in one of my Facebook autism groups criticizing what was wrong with autism awareness, and how it focused so much on autistics as medical issues rather than people. I spent a lot of the early afternoon reading the reading for my Cinematography class. After that class had ended, I took the time until the Autistic Self-Advocacy Network of Kansas City meeting to write a haiku or two and add the finishing touches to my article summary. Then the meeting, which I was attending through Google+ started. The main topics of conversation for this month’s meeting seemed to be the JCCC conference-some speakers still wished they had better accommodations for the meeting, such as a picture of what the room looked like before they spoke in it, though all were in agreement that the people running the conference had not meant to be unhelpful-and a video produced by the Autism Society of the Heartland called Just Like You, talking about how autistics and non-autistics are more alike than not alike. I couldn’t see it through Google+, but I, and so did it seem everyone else, thought it was a refreshing step in autism portrayal, especially considering the negative light shone by Autism Speaks, though I agreed with one of our members who felt patronized by them consistently using the word “unique” to describe us.
                The next morning, I read a lot of the reading for my American Renaissance class, and after all classes were over, I went down to the Einstein Brother’s in the Rec Center to get myself a coffee and a bagel as a reward for all my hard work. As I walked away from the counter with my bagel and drink, it seemed extraordinary to me that just two years ago, I had come down here, or else the Rec Center in the library, every Tuesday and Thursday to see my good friend Cassie Burghoff, not to mention that whole time not suspecting that Cassie, not wanting to admit it, may have had one thing that meant we had more in common than we thought. After that I finished reading the article for my American Renaissance class. Then I ran on the treadmill where I wrote a poem and got the idea to do a drawing that looks like The Scream except it shows two people wearing autistic pride shirts and tank tops, with Bob Wright, co-founder of Autism Speaks, wearing an Autism Speaks pin and screaming and melting. Soon after that I went to Late Night where I worked on my drawing in the lounge. 
I hung out there with Josh, Jess, and two other female hall residents in the lounge, inconspicuously working on my drawing, laughing, and enjoying their company, when, all of the sudden, I saw on Facebook an article shared by one of my autistic friends about an autistic murder victim, six-year old London McCabe, was murdered by his mother due to his autism, the very thing I spent so many nights up late blogging, posting, or doing whatever I could think of to prevent such a tragedy from happening. I felt shaken, almost seizure-like, unable to sit still or take a walk to calm down. What, I thought, could possibly be the reason of a just, fair universe for having such a thing happen? Then I thought about one thing: Cassie. Maybe, such a heart-tugging event of such an innocent child, maybe compel her to reconsider feeling shame in being autistic, so that she could more readily admit it to herself and others. Autistic or not, I knew Cassie, and knew such an event would disturb her caring and sensitive nature. I knew what I wanted to do. I got up, went outside, and walked down to the southwest entrance of the Union, where just up the stairs and to the right, the first THRIVE formal I went to had taken place, to which I invited Cassie to, and she accepted, though, due to pressures outside our selves she ended up not going. It was stressful afterwards, thinking of a complicated ripple effect I feared it would have on any chance I had of dating her, but I respected her decision, and I felt our whole friendship was stronger for all this. I stood outside, thinking of all Cassie and I had together, and then remembered another great connection I had that this building symbolized: Erin Hook, one of the UCM students who died in a car wreck last year. Erin’s friend Jennifer, who also died in the car wreck, was not there that year the formal, hosted by their sorority Alpha Sigma Alpha. I sat down on the bottom step and tears flowed down from my eyes. I knew Cassie would have comforted me about the grief I had felt during the deaths if she had been at UCM, not to mention shaken by their deaths. She graduated the year before, going back to her hometown of St. Louis almost three hundred miles away from Kansas City, but apart from that, her difficult career as a social worker made it very hard for her to be in a relationship with her nature. And now I knew why.  But Cassie, like Jennifer, Erin, and London, I now had to move on from.
I got up, making my way back to my dorm through the dead of night. What, I wondered, had “autism awareness” done for the autism community? I wondered Did Caitlin Stauffer, the Autism Awareness Homecoming Queen candidate of Alpha Sigma Alpha, know what had happened to London, that the philosophy she used to gain her crown failed to stop this tragedy? She had spoken at the vigil for her two sisters after they died.  Fox News reported it, as did The Muleskinner, which was sold at Hasting’s. How would London be remembered, except perhaps as someone whose future would be so dark, that it was justified to stop it from happening, as Kelli Stapleton, a mother who attempted murder of her autistic daughter, claimed her child to be, to a round of support by Dr. Phil and the media, not as someone whose potential was so much, and could have been such that, thanks to his death, we would never know. 
The next day I went to brunch where I worked on my drawing of the autistic version of The Scream. Afterwards I got back, reminding and pushing myself to be in the present as I took a shower, and then found out I had a Creative Problem-Solving assignment due tomorrow, yet I got most of it done. Soon after that I took a break to drink a soda, before going down to the library and meeting up with my Creative Problem-Solving team where we got together, and I came up with many ideas for our Disney attraction. I then got back and shared a link about London McCabe with a post describing my feelings about his death. I said that “Let me just say to everyone now that if you ever abuse, neglect, discriminate, intimidate, harass, or malign an autistic of any background, in any capacity, for any reason or for any cause, I wish for no connection of any type to you, whether they be professional, romantic, platonic, or even electronic. Let me also say to anyone who has endorsed, promoted, or manipulated the idea of "autism awareness" in any way: that the mere phrase "autism awareness" is not a term for which I will instantly consider you harmful, but if you are to be connected to that phrase in any way possible, I consider the burden of proof to be on you that you and your efforts have gone beyond the bare minimum to respect the concerns, issues, respect, dignity, equality, feelings, and integrity of every single, solitary person who is in any way, shape, or form a member of the autistic community.”
I talked to my granddad, who heard about the death to and was saddened by it. Down at dinner, which I was later joined by Josiah in, I heard of another autistic boy’s death by his own mother and did another post with a link on his death. I got back to my dorm and wrote a poem describing the thoughts and feelings I had on these two young children before I went to the library and finished my American Renaissance paper. I got back and talked to Dad, who I learned also heard about the death before going down to Late Night. I got back and talked to Granddad some more, sharing more thoughts and feelings on London McCabe’s death, as well as that of the other boy, who I told him about. I soon also realized with all this going on with autism, the pressure may soon be or could more easily be put on Alpha Xi Delta to look at their policy on Autism Speaks. I also wrote another Food Journal entry for my Anthropology of Food class. After that I wrote a prayer for autistic people for us to overcome our issues such as Autism Speaks, filicide, discrimination, and so on called The Autistic’s Prayer, which I would recite every morning until equality is achieved for us, right after my meditation.  I had to do this properly. No Buddhism. That night I also heard through one of my Facebook friends that Alpha Omicron Pi member Jordan Seaman had just been announced the new UCM Alpha Omicron Pi chapter president.
The next morning I recited The Autistic’s Prayer just as I had promised myself the day before for what would be the first day of so far almost two months of saying it. Rather than hoping to petition a deity, I hoped for this prayer to bring out change in myself to help me bring change in the autism community, as was a Buddhist philosophy, but something generic I hoped relevant for all autistic beings and their allies. Before my last two classes I worked on my Creative Problem-Solving worksheet, and after class I worked on my bottle cap wind chime, using my woodworking tweezers to make holes on the edges of the cap for the strings connecting them to go through.  Soon after that I worked more on the Autistic version of The Scream. Then I went down to King’s Chef Buffet with Hillary, Mardy, and Michelle where I saw a new trailer of The Hobbit: The Battle of the Five Armies. After that we went down to the gym and played basketball for a few minutes before going down to Fitzgerald Diner to play Bingo, though I left before it started because of my cough. Later I went down to Late Night and worked on The Scream some more and saw Jacob. After that, as I was walking down to Break Time, I saw Josh and Katie walking together, and I learned that Josh was walking Katie back to her apartment in Hout’s. Wanting to enjoy their company, I walked her back with him. Then I went to Break Time and got three more small Altoids and some more beers, from which I got a new bottle cap for my collection. 
The next morning, I finished the Autistic version of The Scream right before Josiah joined me for brunch. Soon after that I got the idea to do a post on Jude Mirra and London McCabe and posted it on The Autist Dharma. Then I decided to take a break from blogging for a while. After that I worked more on my bottle cap wind chime. I also ran on the treadmill for about an hour. Then I started crocheting another plarn belt. After that I went down to Break Time and got some chocolate balls and three Snickers, two of which I decided to save for later.
I did some laundry while I worked on making one of my plarn belts and undoing some crochet work I messed up on. Then I started working on a wall fish made from bottle caps.  After that I ran on the treadmill for about an hour. I got back and talked to Dad and Granddad, the latter of whom said I wasn’t just into numbers as an autism awareness Homecoming Queen candidate was but cared about the individual also. After that I finished my wall fish and got some great comments on it.  After that I hung out with Hillary and Michelle in Mardy’s room (Mardy was gone for the weekend).
I wrote some more haiku and poems down at brunch. I got back, editing some of the poems I had written in the past few weeks and years a fair amount, and, despite my promise to taking a break from blogging, got my Snickers bars for energy, compiled four of them into a post called A Call to an “Autism” Sorority, to the Alpha Xi Delta chapter heads as Teigan had suggested, to tell them that in light of London McCabe’s death, his father asks that all donations made in his name go to the Autistic Self-Advocacy Network or the Dan Marino Foundation for developmental disabilities. I soon saw it got eight views in just today, not counting three of my own, which I think I got to be clicking on the traffic sources address to my blog, and they come up on the third page of Google results for “autism sorority,” and the main people who will be reading it will be AZD chapter heads who want to read about how their organization is helping autism, so they will get that far, and there’s one hundred twenty-one chapters, so now I’m off to a good start in getting their attention to raise the issue to the National Council. I later looked on AZD’s Facebook page and saw they were changing their cover album to pictures of some of them wearing Autism Speaks bracelets to raise support for Autism Speaks.  I realized ASAN-KC could counterbalance Autism Speaks some more if they did something for National Philanthropy Day like a hashtag our national branch was doing for Giving Tuesday. I posted on ASAN-KC’s page saying we needed to do something for National Philanthropy Day on the 15th to show the world what a true organization ASAN is. Teigan messaged me back asking, “What do you mean.  ASAN is already a true organization.  We don’t need to prove anything.  What are you suggesting we do?” 
                I responded saying I realize ASAN is a true organization, but I am tired of Autism Speaks getting so much support from powerful groups thinking their doing the right thing when we truly care about autistic people, and that maybe we could do one giant post like we were doing for Giving Tuesday, though it might be too late to gather up enough people with only six days to go, but then we also have a whole other year to prepare for next year’s National Philanthropy Day.
After that I saw a post on Facebook from an autism group I’m in where a girl posted a picture of herself saying, “Do you all think I’m pretty.  I have very low self-confidence,” and I commented saying, “From what I see, you don’t need to be concerned about your looks.  You are a standard issue human being who has something to give this world.  There is no one else quite like you.” A few minutes afterwards, she liked that post. Then I saw what Granddad meant about how I’m into helping the individual. After that I made a post for #GivingTuesday with the Autistic Self-Advocacy Network, saying:

I support the Autistic Self-Advocacy Network because they are an organization where people know first-hand what it is like to struggle from many of the experiences autistic people like me have.  They give me a place where I feel welcomed and accepted without any stigma, and make me feel like I have greater resources in doing work that helps create better, more accessible services for autistic people.  I support ASAN because they pay it forward, not to their executives.  I wish ASAN could be in more places, partnering with more groups, and getting recognition from more institutions, businesses, and organizations.
 
 



 

No comments:

Post a Comment