Thursday, July 31, 2014

A Difficult Receipt Story


The day after I got back from New Hampshire, I went to Lake Lotawana with my brothers to see my grandparents, Uncle Todd, Aunt Laura, and cousins Abby and Eric, where I sold my aunt the receipt coasters she hired me to make and got paid fifty dollars for it. After a dinner of fries, brisket, and ribs, my granddad drove my brothers, cousins, aunt and uncle, and I on a boat ride. Over the next few days, I enjoyed my Lonely Planet Germany book, learning about many World War Two, East Soviet, and beer halls, going to Starbuck’s, and reading Water Touching Stone. The next Thursday I went to my art class and on the next Friday I worked from 4-7, getting a new Sweet Leaf Tea cap from my drink I bought with my dinner afterwards. Two days later I practiced my flute for half an hour, playing tunes from my Hobbit flute solo book. Afterwards I realized I probably ought to RSVP to the Autistic Self-Advocacy Network Kansas City chapter July meeting on Facebook soon. I also remembered a promise I had made four months ago for after I sold my receipt coasters to my aunt, I would donate a portion of it to the memorial scholarship fund of a girl, and friend to the THRIVE program, Erin Hook, who died in a car wreck along with another female friend, Jennifer Reeder, also a supporter of the THRIVE program, as well as a portion of the money to the Autistic Self-Advocacy Network. That night I donated $10 to the Autistic Self-Advocacy Network and put in a section saying, “in honor of,” “Erin Hook and Jennifer Reeder.” That night I put up a post about it on Facebook, and later saw Barbara Mayfield commented saying, “I admire your selflessness, Ben.” Beth Rutt, the director of the Student Wellness and Recreation Center wrote, “Ben, you are a great example for us to pay it forward.” Despite people’s comments, I felt restless that night, pacing nonstop as I have many times throughout my life, mostly when younger. The couch no longer felt like a place I could sit on, and I felt so much better on the outdoor swing, reading my Lonely Planet Germany book while struggling to hold a flashlight to read it. But it was no go, and I continually paced until I finally felt able to go to sleep. The next morning, I found out I got 17 likes on that post about my donation, including from Abby, Dr. Downing, and my dad. I also practiced my flute for another half hour. That next night I made my donation to the Erin L. Hook Memorial Scholarship Fund, writing in the memo, “In honor of a champion of the disability community who helped coordinate events for her alma matter's THRIVE program for adults with intellectual and developmental disabilities through the THRIVE formals of 2012 and 2013 and Zumba. May this legacy be carried on throughout the life of our world and let its champion, Erin L. Hook and her friend Jennifer Reeder, be recognized and rewarded in memory for her work to make this possible.” But as I saw Hook’s smiling face, so, full of life, which it was no longer. I made another Facebook post that night where I posted my tribute. That night was another night of constant pacing like I had not remembered for a while. I woke up the next morning, I saw my status had gotten seventeen likes again and Mary, a girl from the THRIVE program shared it, writing, “an example for us all." That night I went to Winstead’s, Barnes and Noble with my granddad before going to the Pathless Land, and got back feeling quite restless again, and quite some time to fall asleep. I awoke the next morning feeling my stomachache a bit and told my Mom I thought I ought to sleep in and didn’t feel able to go to my art class. She understood, and I slept until twelve, like I had so many times since coming home for the summer, when I felt better physically then. I got through the day much better without the need to pace and clicked “going” on the Autistic Self-Advocacy Network Kansas City chapter July meeting’s page.

No comments:

Post a Comment