Friday, August 15, 2014

A Long Expected Reunion


On a Friday, two days after I had given to both the Autistic Self-Advocacy Network and a memorial scholarship foundation for a deceased fellow UCM student, I drove down to my quarterly psychiatrist appointment. There I told my psychiatrist, Dr. Mays, about what I recently did for the two foundations and how it brought out feelings of sadness over the event, combined with the feeling of isolation from trying to find a girl who understood what autistic people like me had to go through, which he understood. I also got an e-mail from Kelly from Camp Encourage, asking if I would be able to participate in their next panel series of adults with autism, saying they could give me a ride. I said certainly, and she e-mailed me back saying that was great, and one of their counselors, Michelle Hass would pick me up. I called Tyler and arranged for us to sleep over tomorrow night. Then I called Hen House and found out I work on Sunday from 4-7. I called Erin and we agreed to get together soon. The next day I washed down a gliding porch for fifteen dollars. Tyler arrived for our sleepover, and we swam in the pool. We ordered Minsky’s pizza and I listened to an amazing song called Special Needs that Tyler showed me. He also taught me how to snap my fingers. We watched fifteen episodes of Mighty Morphing Power Rangers on Netflix, all the way back from the nineties before going to bed. 
                The next morning, I woke up to find Tyler standing next to me waiting for me to get up at around eight in the morning. Reluctantly, I got up and we watched three more episodes of Mighty Morphing Power Rangers before I fell asleep and woke up about half an hour later to hear Tyler tell me what happened. At his urging I jumped in the pool to “wake me up,” and we swam a little bit more before I we watched more of Mighty Morphing Power Rangers. Then we swam some more before Tyler’s dad came to pick him up. After taking a shower, I went down to Starbuck’s and read more of Water Touching Stone. I went to work and afterwards I got a new USDA cap from my drink I bought afterwards. I also worked on my trellises made from bottle rings and twist-ties. Then I put up my status on Facebook about going to the Autistic Self-Advocacy Network Kansas City meeting tomorrow night and got eight likes on it in one night. 

No comments:

Post a Comment