Monday, April 21, 2014

Tests, Test, and More Tests

With a stressful long-term project finally out of my way, I spent the next afternoon reading a lot of the reading for my Early American Literature class. Later I went to the meeting which only Tom and Barbara showed up for and I learned Barbara saw my post on a man with autism married to a neurotypical woman and the challenges they faced and I realized it might be hard for some visual autistic people to learn to talk because you can’t see how they’re doing it from the outside of their body, unlike waving, and when you’re taught to have, you might have trouble with depth perception that makes you unsure of where your hands would be, or when you are shown how to dress yourself, when you see what someone is doing with a yellow shirt, you may not see that you are supposed to do the same thing with a blue shirt. Then I invited several of my Facebook friends to like the Autism Women’s Empowerment Project. After a few minutes I saw Michael, a friend of mine from JCCC, had liked my post on the arbitrariness of autistic classifications. Later I talked to my granddad and he said that I changed his whole view on autism in just one night after I told him about how an autistic person can have trouble knowing how to put on a blue shirt based on how someone puts on a yellow one, and that I’ve done my part for autism. While I ran, I learned to create a poem by writing the feelings you feel from a line of another poem chosen at random and found a poem by an autistic women whose line I used to help inspire me and I started writing about how I feel about taking a risk and loving someone who does not know the fact of having my condition. When I got back, I talked to my dad who advised me to at least put out meetings for the UCM Autism Spectrum Support Groups even hardly anyone comes. I finished that poem at Late Night and then wrote in my gratitude journal. After that I saw Teresa liked my post on the arbitrary classifications of autism. Then I took a shower to keep myself awake long enough to write this, during which time I decided to get myself one of those sketchbooks and brushes from the Union bookstore to do some watercolors and calligraphy. I also helped Sinho and Jai with some English questions. 
                The next morning, I learned about beach rock photos on a website and saw an interesting quote on there about how beach rocks teach us all to keep an open mind, because something we originally might reject may later become our favorite thing. I also read more of the reading for my Early American Literature class. Then I learned there is a test this week in my Film Appreciation class. After that I finished the rest of my reading for my Early American Literature class.  During my World Archaeology class, I heard about how Catalhoyuk is a place of artistic inspiration and a spiritual center and thought I might visit it in junction with a bearing witness trip to Turkey about the Armenian Genocide. Afterwards saw Becky working at a body acceptance project where I got myself weighed on a scale that only tells you good things about your body, and mine said “Lovely” and I got a picture for them to put to Facebook. Then I got a watercolor paintbrush, a Chinese bamboo brush, and a notebook for my watercolors and calligraphy. After that I read a poster in the Union on stress, which said that people who view stressful situations as an opportunity to grow are more likely to avoid some of the symptoms of stress. Then I sorted some recycling afterwards. I alsosaw on Facebook that my family friend Bob Tucker, who also went to the Pathless Land, liked my post about the arbitrariness of autism classifications and put, “Well explained and easily understood.  You are a brave lad my friend.” I then invited the rest of my Facebook friends to like the Autism Women’s Empowerment Project. I talked to Granddad who said that Bob Tucker, a real professional-a retired psychotherapist-and doesn’t compliment every Facebook post like that, and that I am continuing to gain credibility. I also realized later on that my sudden loss of passion for screenwriting seemed to stem from not feeling as connected to my characters like I used to, and if I could fix that, I could probably get it back.   Afterwards I worked on my handbag made from snack wrappers. After running I made another hair pin from straws. Then I worked on a scrapbook with a cover made from a chips bag. I also went to Late Night where I saw Ryan, who I sat with, and he told me he would e-mail me about the next THRIVE meeting next week or tomorrow morning when he knew when it was. 
                I realized as I lay awake the next morning that even if a girl does not share my condition, she may find it amazing what I’ve had to deal with as a person with autism. After meditating, showering, and eating breakfast, I studied for two fifty minute study blocks for my World Archaeology class with a ten minute break in between to use the bathroom and get a drink. After that I took my Film Appreciation test and got a thirty-seven out of forty. Later when I got back to the dorm I got back and saw Elizabeth Wood from my Creative Writing class, who I was surprised to see remembered my name. Then I finished four more coasters made from paper plates made three more pencil cups from Pringles cans. I talked to Mom who asked about coming down tomorrow and I agreed, and she agreed to come at 11:30, and was impressed with how hard I was working. I got back and worked on my coasters made from paper plates and Styrofoam, realizing what a good idea it was to tell a few people about the Friend of Autism Pledge, have them tell a few people, and for a certain amount of people they get to sign to give out environmentally friendly prizes. I took a shower to keep myself awake to write in my meditation journal. 
                The next morning, I ate breakfast with Connor from THRIVE. Then Mom came and brought my paper plates, Lost Years of Merlin books, and some clean pants. After that we went to the Egg Diner where I enjoyed a good grilled chicken and bacon sandwich, and Mom said that though she couldn’t connect with the characters in The Skull Mantra enough to get more than halfway through the book, she could tell there was a romance between Shan and Rebecca from the way the book described Rebecca’s hair flowing in the wind. Afterwards I made two more heart-shaped pins. Then I studied for my North American Indian class for two fifty minute study blocks with a ten minute break in between to use the bathroom and get a drink, during which I realized ways I could better answer Yelton’s questions on the test than I have on previous tests. After that I read more of the reading for my World Archaeology class and got more of the answers from the test out of it thus far. I also watched a documentary for my Modern Sub-Saharan Africa class where they talked about how the people in Ghana who produce our rice, chocolate, and gold are paid so poorly and work in such horrible conditions, and I thought, while some people may think it would cost us more for these products, that knife Dad got me from Sweden was made in a country where minimum wage and working condition laws are just as strict, if not more so than in the U.S., and that knife probably did not cost more than it would have otherwise, and got the idea to do a poem on that, and felt a little lonely from having two classes on-line, but more motivated to pursue a romantic relationship because of that.  I talked to my granddad afterwards, who said he saw Bob at the store recently and he was really impressed with my posting. I read an article and watched more of another documentary for my Modern Sub-Saharan Africa class. I read more of Anthills of the Savanah while I ran. I got back and made another flower and heart-shaped pin. I talked to Dad afterwards and he said he was able to get my knife for only twenty dollars as these knives, Moran knives, are very famous around the world. Then I walked to the gas station, seeing Ryan and Oscar on my way, while Ryan said that he would e-mail me tomorrow or sometime soon about when the THRIVE group meets next. I got back and wrote in my meditation journal, during which time I read that when Uncle Ray saw the girl who would become the love of his life for the first time in his life while riding home on the bus, he knew “where he was going to sit, thinking back to how a girl or two always use to sit next to me in class in the past few semesters. I again took a shower to keep myself awake to write in my meditation journal. 
                After showering the next morning, I had breakfast with Connor, Oscar, Brian, and Autrey. Later I found out the next discussion post for my Modern Sub-Saharan Africa class isn’t due until the 2nd of March. After that I worked on my PowerPoint presentation. I studied for my World Archaeology class for two fifty minute study blocks with a ten minute break in between to use the bathroom and get a drink and understood the material fairly well and how to give my best answers on the questions, during which time I realized Horizon never really taught us how to study well when I was there, nor did Belinder of course, and that raising the $50 million dollars for special education services required by the Americans with Disabilities Act may require higher taxes, but it is also the law. I realized that even if we had to pay more for things from countries with as high standards of working conditions as we had, it wouldn’t be a whole lot when it’s stretched out over each product sold to the public, and chips are made in America and they hardly cost anything. I got back and I worked on my bag and my mandalas made from bags. Then I watched Vegucated for my Film Appreciation class, during which time I was inspired to eat more spinach leaves along with some nuts, which I hadn’t realized were there before, as there just leaves, and learned free-range doesn’t always mean cruelty-free. I read more of Anthill of the Savanah while running, before submitting my Film Appreciation paper. I got back and I sorted some recycling, while I got a Coke. Then I took a shower to help me stay awake to write in my meditation journal. I also realized how beer can be made in America without having to be outrageously expensive. 

                On Monday, after meditating and showering, I read more of Anthills of the Savanah up to the last three pages and it was really good.  During brunch I had a salad, or rather sunflower seed wrapped in spinach leaves, while I read more of Anthills of the Savanah.  After that I finished my book report on it. Afterwards I studied for my World Archaeology class for two fifty minute study blocks with a ten minute break in between to use the bathroom and get a drink. I got back and I did some laundry. I ate dinner with Ryan afterwards, who said he’d e-mail me soon and might even have the meeting for the THRIVE group be on Wednesday. After Ryan left, I ate dinner with Casey, Antwon, and Robert. When they left, I worked on a poem and realized that poetry, much like calligraphy, can help us appreciate the beauty of human language. While I ran on the treadmill I realized that much like with poetry, I just have to create an ending while having a middle and find a plot that connects the two. I got back and made another heart-shaped pin from straws. I also worked on my bag woven from Walmart bags.  After Late Night I read a lot of the reading for my Early American Literature class. Again, I took a shower to keep myself awake for my meditation journal, but I ended up deciding to save my entry for the next day. 
                The next morning, I read more of the reading for my Early American Literature class. Later I took my test down at the Testing Center, which I thought I did really well on and may even get an A on, and realized that giving people with disabilities, far from giving them unfair advantages, helps better test what they’ve learned. I got back and worked on my coasters made from paper plates and Styrofoam. Then I went to Crazy Dog’s. I went and got my hair cut afterwards, tipping the barber an almost twenty-five percent tip. Then I got the current issue of National Geographic and Buddhadharma at Hasting’s. 
                After that I got some more shampoo and deodorant at Walgreen’s. I sorted and picked up some recyclables on my way back. I got back and made some more flowers and a heart-shaped pin. After that I worked on my bag woven from Walmart bags. Then I talked to Granddad who assured me I would know just what to say when I talk to the THRIVE group and always do and have it flow out of me so smoothly, and he complimented my writing ability again.  When I got back from running, I made another heart-shaped pin. Then I talked to my dad who thought that setting up receptacles in different halls for the stuff we use to make the UCM Autism Spectrum Support Group door prizes was a good idea. I also went to Late Night where I learned about acrostic poems and saw some really good miksang photos, including good ones of leaves, like a wet one on a beach and one holding and floating in water, which inspired me to take some more of my own. I got back and took several great beach pebble photos with my pebbles from Washington, realizing they looked better than I thought they would, like a nature or beach scene. When Tyler texted me saying he wanted to create an avengers team of people with special needs, I told him it was a great idea. When he said that he wanted to make a team of all the people he loves, I told him that when you love someone, they are always there with you. Then he said he loves the people he loves unconditionally and always feels their presence, and I said so do I. Then I took a shower to keep myself awake to write in my meditation journal. I also realized that an inspirational quote would go well with these beach rock photos. 
                The next day I ate lunch with Megan. I also realized I have several good photos which I could use for Chinese paintings. After that I realized I might as well keep meetings going to keep Tom’s interest and scheduled one for next Wednesday. I also worked on my covers for my meditation journals and realized I could use some of the extra leather to make bracelets, including some braided ones. I also put all my recyclables bags on my shelf, put my textbooks in a box shelf on top of my microwave, my Altoids boxes on my windowsill, some of the stuff on my microwave on my new shelf, and my yarn paintings, poster, and plastic bags mandala next to my shelf with my recyclables and my room looked great. Then I made some more flowers and fixed a few of them. I later found out I was missing my bag with my earphones and flash drive. I went to Late Night where I sat with Autrey, Ryan, and Logan, while I started making the yarn for my bag woven from Walmart bags. I also met a girl in the main hall of Ellis named Marissa, who I got to know a little bit. 
                The next morning, I realized how much plastic bags in the landfill is a problem when I realized that plastic bags were the biggest among all my recyclables. I got the idea to use all the letters in my Warrensburg plastic bag mandala to make a Buddhist saying like “Be Present.” Later I worked on my lampshade made and made some more heart-shaped pins. I went to Walgreen’s and got Time magazine’s Civil Rights: The Movement for Equality and the Dream Today. Then I ate at Siam where I made another flower, and had a delicious Thai iced coffee. I also got a new quarter and nickel from my change. As I walked back, I picked up and sorted some more recycling. I got back and made some more flowers and heart-shaped pins. After that I read the reading for my Film Appreciation class, while eating some wings with some hot sauce on the side at Late Night. I learned that the next assignment for my Film Appreciation class isn’t due for full credit until Sunday at midnight, and that I got 100% on all the assignments I’ve turned in for my Modern Sub-Saharan Africa class, including my book report, which I got some good comments on, and realized if I managed to turn in the rest of them, I’d do fine. I also sent out the e-mails to the UCM Autism Spectrum Support Group about next Wednesday’s meeting. I got back and made another flower, and heart-shaped pin, and ended up deciding to save my meditation journal entry for that day for the next day. 
                The next day after meditating and showering, I ate lunch with Connor, and then Jai and Kim. Later I worked on my lampshade and found some new pebbles in the Ellis courtyard. Afterwards I made another heart-shaped pin, and then worked on my coasters made from paper plates and Styrofoam. While running I read about how the samurai trained themselves in painting, poetry, calligraphy, and flower arranging. I got back and talked to my dad, during which time I realized that I feel my workload for the weekend is rather light compared to other weekends, or perhaps it’s just that I’m more used to my load now.

No comments:

Post a Comment