Monday, September 15, 2014

Back to School Mule-Style


I scooped Peter’s litter box, read my Lonely Planet Turkey and Central Asia books, and cuddled Peter before my dad picked me up and took me to Warrensburg. He gave me his presents, a Native American flute and a build-your-own ocarina kit, and I opened Mom’s, a Leadville, Colorado shirt, and Uncle Todd’s, Aunt Laura’s, Abby’s, and Eric’s, a book on paper art and an ecofriendly sketchbook. Then Dad and I ate at Crazy Dog’s before he took me to UCM, and we got all unpacked. After that, I got my room all organized. Then I made another bracelet from leather, as I had promised to make every day before the silent auction for the Autistic Self-Advocacy Network of Kansas City. I also did some more of my word search from Colorado. I went to the mandatory floor meeting where we introduced ourselves, and told everyone our major, hometown, and hoe old we were. When it was my turn I said, “My name is Ben Edwards, I’m from Mission Hills, my major is Cultural Studies, and I’m twenty-five years old, which I just turned today.”
             Right away, everyone started clapping and singing, “Happy birthday to you.”
Mardy and I filled out our roommate agreement form. Then we went to the Mule Kick-off where I saw my friend from middle school and friend on the autism spectrum Ian Sneid, I talked to him and during that time I learned he was living in South Yeater hall, and I told him about the group.
             “Anyway, if you want to come, you’re welcome to,” I told him.
             “I’ll think about it,” he said.
I also met Paige there, a new THRIVE student with Down syndrome. Mardy and I then went to the THRIVE hall and met Blair, another new THRIVE student with Down syndrome, and hung out with her, Mary, her roommate, and Jade. Afterwards we went to see The Secret Life of Walter Mitty on the lawn of the Central Baptist Student Union.

The next day I had breakfast with a new student in Ellis who is getting to know new people here.  Then I read over some more of my Lonely Planet Turkey book. Afterwards I had lunch with some people from my hall. I also went to the library where I saw several birthday wishes for me on my Facebook page. To show my autistic pride, I changed my Facebook name from ‘Ben Edwards’ to ‘Ben Edwards Au’ in reference to the chemical symbol for gold, which are the first two letters in ‘autistic,’ prompting members of the autistic community to launch “Light it Up Gold,” as opposed to Autism Speaks’ medical autism model based Light it Up Blue, and for many autistics on Facebook, including several of my autistic Facebook friends to add Au to the ends of their names to.  It would take sixty days for the change to take effect. Then I ate dinner with the people on my hall including Drake, a tall dark young man with a crew cut; Alex, a tall black man; Josiah with dark spikey hair; Cameron, a short dark-haired girl; and Sara with bright shoulder-length blond hair. I got back and talked to Granddad, who liked my idea for the Facebook name, thinking it was a good idea just like my porcupine picture. Then I went to the hypnotist with people from my hall where I go to know several of them.  After I got back, I went down to Break Time and got some beers.
The next day began both my Anthropology of Food class and my American Renaissance class. Before my Creative Problem-Solving class, which started fifteen minutes after the latter of the two other classes finished, Hillary texted me saying she needed help finding her two o’clock class, which took place right across the hall from my American Renaissance class, so I waited for her near the Rec Center and took her back up to that hall to help her find her class with five minutes left until my next class started, making it there just in time. After I got out of class I got out of class and bought a new poster of Albert Einstein and a print of Andy Warhol, two individuals reputed to be autistic. I got back and spent some time with Hillary and Mardy before running on the treadmill for half an hour, trying not to start at my usual time of about an hour after three whole months without running. I got back and got a birthday card and check from my grandmother. Then I hung out with Hillary and Mardy.  Hillary left temporarily to take care of some business, during which time I made another bracelet. Hillary got back and she, Mardy, and I hung out, sharing a beer with them and going down to Break Time to get some ice cream with them, during which time we agreed to walk together for a bit of time every day, and I got some more Altoids.
The next day I went down to the Ward Edwards building and got my laptop registered with the UCM wi-fi. Then I deleted several of my old e-mails and sorted them a little bit.  Afterwards I went to help Hillary get her printer set up. Later I got two new prints, a print of Andy Warhol’s depiction of Marilyn Monroe and a print of Johnny Deep from one of his films, both of these individuals having been believed to be autistic. Then I got back and turned two of the now empty printer cartridges from Hillary’s printer into paper weights one with a Jesus drawing and the other of Muhammad Ali and started on one of Mother Teresa. After that I went to dinner with my hall where I almost think I spotted Jess checking me out. I got back and finished my paper weight depicting Mother Teresa, and then did another one depicting Gandhi. After that I ran on the treadmill for forty minutes. I got back and talked to Dad. Then I got a call from Mom saying my tuition had been paid. Afterwards I went to the library and checked out Ralph Waldo Emerson’s Nature for my America Renaissance class, and some Lonely Planet books on Kenya and Tanzania.
The next day I read a lot of Nature after my Anthropology of Food class while drinking some coffee. After my last class I went to the Union computer lab where I happened to run into Maria, who said she saw my blogs and Facebook page during the summer and thought they were very interesting. I also learned she was living in East Ellis and was no longer working as a CA. I sat next to her in the lab while I took the syllabus quiz for my Creative Problem-Solving class and e-mailed a list of textbooks I need to my dad. I got back to Ellis where I had dinner with people from my hall. After dinner I made another bracelet. Then I worked more on making Facebook pages for my blogs.  After that I ran on the treadmill for about an hour while I read more of Buddhist Boot Camp, which taught me about how power self-talk is, like when I think I cannot change the world for autistics with Autism Speaks in the way. I got back and started teaching myself Arabic from the Rumi book I got. Then I went to Break Time where I got some more beers and Doritos.
The next morning, I ate breakfast with Shay, Alex, and Anna, during which Anna asked me about the group and said she was the new THRIVE student organization president and the organization would call me about speaking to them about my group. I went to an appointment with Barbara Mayfield, the Autism Spectrum Support Group advisor from the Office of Accessibility Services. During the meeting, we thought we would ask Tom, an Autism Spectrum Support Group member and THRIVE student who was the only one to come to most of our meeting last year, to be our vice president, especially as it may attract some THRIVE students. I of course also made another bracelet. The next day I had breakfast with Anna and dinner with my hall. I also finished reading Buddhist Boot Camp.  After that I went down to Hasting’s for the first time in a while and got the current issue of Sufi magazine, Nobel: A Century of Prize Winners, a new translation of The Art of War, and Tai Chi Classics. Then I went to Walgreen’s and got some shampoo and a notebook for my Creative Problem-Solving class. After that I went to Crazy Dog’s and got a new bottle cap for my collection from my drink. 
The next morning, I had breakfast with Jess and several other people from my hall and in Ellis. After that I went down to the sheltered workshop, where I saw some hay barrels that I had never noticed before on my way, picking up several recyclables and repurposables along the way and recycling all the recyclables I brought and found two new bottle caps for my collection, and on my way back I picked up and recycled more recyclables and found more repurposables. Then I made another bracelet. I also had dinner with people from my hall. After that I went to Crazy Dog’s where I got two new bottle caps for my collection and realized twelve reasons why people at UCM might not be coming to the Autism Spectrum Support Group meetings:

1.       They aren’t willing to admit they are autistic.
2.       They’re worried how other people will react or view them if they find out they’re at an autism group.
3.       They don’t want others to know they’re autistic.
4.       They don’t like the idea of being in a group that is autism-based.
5.       They’re used to social rejection.
6.       They’re used to social isolation.
7.       They have some lack of social skills
8.       They don’t know anyone at the group.
9.       They don’t know anyone at school.
10.   They don’t have their parents for backup in this social situation.
11.   Unlike in community colleges, the people who might shun them for being in an autism group are always living near them.
12.   They’re worried about how this group may portray autistics, having seen material from various professionals and groups like Autism Speaks portraying autism as a weakness.
13.   They are so embroiled in their special interests, and don’t want to leave them behind.

After thinking of this, I realized the solution may be to pair people up in twos several times instead of one as we had done earlier at UCM, each time with different people, though I then remembered doing it with several people at JCCC. That way they could get to know people there and make friends more easily and have another reason to come to the group and meet people who share their interests. Later I got a call from Hillary asking me for some help with her Composition I homework, and she came up here and I helped her write the paper.

On Monday morning I read several more pages of The Art of War. After that I went to the bank and got some quarters. Then I found out where my Cinematography class is. After that I e-mailed my dad the name of the textbook I would need for my Cinematography class. I also went down to the Union bookstore and found out they were out of Selected Works that I needed for my American Renaissance class. I got back to the dorm and went to the front desk to get some envelopes and stamps, where I saw Anna and Brittany, but found out they didn’t have envelopes, so I went down to the packing store to get a stamp and an envelope. I got back and worked on drawing the front of a Thank You note for my grandmother for her birthday check, since I didn’t have an actual card to send. Then I drank some coffee while I read a lot of the reading for my American Renaissance class, which gave me an appreciation for nature writing myself. 
Later I went to my Cinematography class, where I learned about how in classic Cinematography, shadows will be cast in darker scenes, and powerful people might be in the center of the frame, while less powerful people might be to the left, and I thought this class could really reawaken my appreciation for film. Our first assignment was to take two photographs of an object, one from a normal angle, and one from a more unusual angle, to show how angles influenced the mood of the picture. After I got back and ate dinner, I tried frantically to get onto the Autistic Self-Advocacy Network-KC’s Google Hangout for the meeting, but after trying for over half an hour to get on, Hillary got Josh and he tried to help me get on for almost twenty minutes until we found out I hadn’t gotten the invitation to the meeting by mistake. After that I ran on the treadmill to try and relax, while reading more of The Art of War. I got back and talked to Tyler after he called until I insisted that I was exhausted and stressed, and I needed to go. I got back and helped Hillary with her Composition I homework. After that I made another bracelet. Then I got several of my textbooks in the mail, along with a birthday card from my Uncle John, Aunt Nini, and cousins Scott and Tim.
                The next day I ran into my old friend Antwon from last year as I was heading to class, and we caught up a bit and I got his number and planned to text him mine and see him later. I read more of my Creative Problem-Solving book and realized a lot of the strategies for businesses it mentioned paralleled The Art of War’s philosophy. After my last class I got back and finished my thank you note for my grandmother. Then I went to dinner with my hall and Chic Filet, where Josh assured me the difficulties I was experiencing over the conference would be resolved. After that I got some more beers (or rather hard cider) at one of the gas stations. I got back and heard back from Teigan and we got it so I was able to help out at the JCCC Autism Across the Life Span Conference. I also made another bracelet.  As I was walking to the Rec Center I ran into Sara holding a dog on a leash standing next to a short stocky man in a bright red shirt. She smiled and said, “Hey, Ben. How are you?”
                “Good, how are you?”
                “Good, just walking my dog,” she said breathing heavily.
                “That’s good,” I said. “Well, I’ll see you around.”
                “Bye,” she said smiling.
                I saw her again as I was going down the stairwell to Late Night, she was walking up. I said hello and she said, “Hey, Ben. What are you doing?”
                “Just going down to Late Night.”
                “That’s cool. Just relaxing?”
                “Yeah.”
                “That’s good. Well, have a good night.”
                The next day I met with Barbara Mayfield, the Autism Spectrum Support Group advisor from UCM’s Office of Accessibility Services about the group. I told her my theories on why people weren’t showing up to the group, and she agreed I could be right about them. During that time, we came up with the idea to plan activities for after our pair-up sessions, get together THRIVE students for activities to help get them into the group, and to meet with the THRIVE staff to help that happen and to get THRIVE students involved. I said sure, and he told me they would probably get together to practice sometime soon. I went to the Lovinger computer lab and worked on putting a presentation together for Disability Awareness Week, when I got a call from the bookstore saying they had the textbook I needed, and I could come down and get it. I went down there and got it and a fine-tipped sharpie and my arabesque origami box. Then I went down to the packing store, where I ended up getting eight new stamps for my collection along with two envelopes. As I left the Union, I ended up going back to walk with Hillary and Mardy to the bank. I got back and mailed my letter to my grandmother. Then I finished my arabesque box. After that I went to dinner with my hall, sitting next to Jess there, and got the idea to make another bottle cap sign that says “Wake up,” and to carve some of my wooden blocks into a box (for myself). I then made another bracelet for the Silent Auction. After that I talked to my granddad.
                After my first class the next day I went to the library and checked out an edition of Walden. I got to the cafeteria and read a lot of it. Later Mardy and I agreed to ride home the next day together for Labor Day weekend. I went down to Late Night again that night trying to relax and ran into Sara and her friend Cameron.
                “Hey, Ben, how are you doing?” Sara asked me.
                “I’m good, and you?”
                “Oh, I’m doing pretty good,” she said sighing and nodding her head.
                “That’s good, and how are you?” I said to Cameron.
                “I’m good,” she said.
                “Well, I’ll see you later, Ben,” said Sara.
                The next day Mardy and I drove home together. I got home and turned several straws into beads. Then I decided to turn all my straws from now on into lampshades and started doing it. Afterwards I read a little bit of my Lonely Planet Germany book while I petted Peter. Then my mom, Dave, and I went to Elsa’s and celebrated my birthday where I told them about school and looking for the right girl, and she said if I keep my mind open to all possibilities, something will happen. When we got back, I made another bracelet while waiting for everyone to be ready to celebrate my birthday dinner. We celebrated it with triple layered chocolate caramel cake with vanilla and caramel cone ice cream while I got four new shirts, including a Mount Washington shirt and a salmon Winnipesauke shirt, as well as a book called The Uprooted: The Epic Stories of Great Migrations that Made the American People.















No comments:

Post a Comment