Monday, September 15, 2014

Seven Days of Summer


The day after I got back from Colorado, I scooped up Peter’s litter box before eating dinner with my dad and Cam. I showed them the bracelet I made, and they both said they should sell really well.  When I got back, I worked on my bottle cap snake before going down to Starbuck’s, as I had so much this summer. I made another bracelet when I got home, making it my resolution to make one bracelet a day before the silent auction. I told my granddad about the bracelets, and he too said they should sell really well.
                The next day I went to Starbuck’s and read more of Water Touching Stone. After that I found out Build-a-Bear Workshop ended their partnership with Autism Speaks. Then I made another autism awareness leather bracelet. Dad met us to take us to the lake and I gave him the belt I made in Colorado for Father’s Day. We got to the lake house and then went to the market and got some beers, from which I got three new bottle caps to repurpose. We met my grandparents, and they liked my belt, snake, and bracelets, and Cam said he had some bottle caps for me. Then I worked on my letter to Alpha Xi Delta asking them to end their partnership with Autism Speaks too. 
                My granddad suggested that they could be sold for ten dollars apiece, which Dad agreed with. My granddad and I also agreed to go to a labyrinth on Thursday with my grandmom in place of the Pathless Land on Wednesday, as well as Winstead’s and then Barnes and Noble. Then we went to the Canoe Club. I got back and found the bottle caps Cam had for me, as well as two new Snapple caps for my collection. Then I worked on my bottle cap snake. After that, I drove Cam around the block so he could show me how his car worked, as I had not driven it before.

                The next day I went to my art class where I was fairly satisfied with my progress on Mom and Dave’s painting of Leadville, and Donna asked me to e-mail her to keep in touch. I went into the village and saw Nick from my old high school who I learned is taking CLEAR classes at JCCC and has a girlfriend, and we exchanged numbers. Then I went to Starbuck’s, where I got an idea for how to stitch my Kool Aid pouch wallet together and read more of Water Touching Stone. I got back and spent the rest of the day stitching my wallet together, taking a break to make another bracelet.
                I continued stitching it together until nearly two in the morning. After meditating, eating, and showering, I finished stitching my wallet in the next seven hours. Afterwards I made two more coasters from receipts for the silent auction. Then I went down to Starbuck’s and read more of Water Touching Stone. I got back and talked to my granddad who suggested I pick out $50 worth of things from Barnes and Noble, and I got the idea while talking to him to make a coffee sleeve from old t-shit scraps tonight to see how much I could make when I’m away at school. I also made another bracelet.
                The next day I made another bracelet, as was my pledge, and later got a new bottle cap for my collection from my drink I got at Better Cheddar. Soon after that I went to see a glass labyrinth at the Nelson Atkins Museum of Art. My grandmom was sick that day, and unable to make it. We walked through the Nelson, and then got outside and found the labyrinth. As I walked through it, it felt so uplifting and mesmerizing, and I came out feeling almost completely different than before. My granddad was amazed that I didn’t run into walls as he and my grandmom had before. Later we went to Winstead’s, and then to Barnes and Noble, where he gave me fifty dollars to get anything I wanted there. As I was going in, I got a call from Tyler and told him I would have to call him back later as I was celebrating my birthday. I ended up getting a book called Rumi: 53 Secrets from the Tavern of Love and a CD by Nigerian artist/revolutionary Fela Kuti called Fela: The Best of the Black President 2. Afterwards I felt incredibly tired.
                “It’s partially from working on my letter to Alpha Xi Delta,” I said.
                “Well, you poured your heart out,” said my granddad.
                “When I get home,” I said. “I’m just gonna rest.”
                “What about calling Tyler?” my granddad asked.
                Sure enough I called Tyler when I got home before getting some rest that I very much needed. The next day I went to my art class for one last time for a while before going to Starbuck’s and reading more of Water Touching Stone. I also got another new bottle cap I got from a drink I bought at Better Cheddar. Again, I made another bracelet. The next day went very much the same, getting two new bottle caps, making a bracelet, going to Starbuck’s and reading Water Touching Stone. So did the next day except that day I had dinner with my dad at Minsky’s before going down to Better Cheddar again, and then finding a new bottle cap near the glass recycling bin in Prairie Village. Then I got home and packed up my stuff for the next day.
 

1 comment: