Thursday, April 18, 2013

Home for the Down Syndrome Dance

I got home and went with my brothers and Nora to eat with my dad and his friend Jennifer and her son Jack, who I knew a long time ago at Jack’s Stack where I enjoyed some delicious ribs. I got to my dad’s house after that and called Erin then spent the night at my dad’s house. The next day my dad, Cam, and I ate brunch in Downtown Overland Park. I then went home to my mom’s and got dressed up for the Down Syndrome Dance.
                At the dance I met up with Tyler and Mary and saw several old familiar faces including an etiquette teacher I know from JCCC, Amy Billingsley and a student from Horizon named Ryan (who doesn’t have Down syndrome) while dancing and watching several "gypsy" dancers. I also read some good pamphlets talking about Down syndrome and people-first language which states you should never say things like “suffers from” or “afflicted by” Down syndrome, something I hate when people do with autism. On the way home I looked forward to having Tyler and Mary over during the summer.  When I got home, I watched Jesse, so accustomed to doing so from living with Tyler, and during the episode, Emma was upset that her rich parents wouldn’t be at her science fair, but Jesse explained that like the planets, even though they weren’t physically close, they react to what going on with the other ones because they have the same gravitational pull, before they showed up because of Jesse insisting on it the day before, which resonated in me strongly. The next day I ate brunch at an Italian buffet with Cam, my dad, and my grandmom. My granddad wasn’t there because he had bronchitis. Later I packed up and went back to school with Jack and his dad.

No comments:

Post a Comment